There are some exciting things happening! Just this week I found out that over $12,000.00 has been donated to the “Wells for Haiti” fund in Mike’s memory. This is truly amazing and we are speechless. We cannot possibly thank you enough for your kind donations. The best I can do is to post updates here so you may be a part of this project as the vision continues to develop. Our desire is to provide water for the people that our church is connected with (Jerusalem Baptist Ministries) in Pignon, Haiti. It has become apparent that providing access to water is only one step in meeting the needs of our friends. The next step is to ensure that the water they access is clean. This will not be a quick fix project and we need your prayers for clear direction as we learn more and move forward. Please check back here often for updates.
Here are some quick facts about Haiti as well as a map so you can see where Pignon is located.
- Poorest country in the Western Hemisphere
- More than 3 million people are homeless
- 1 in 5 dies before age 40
- 55% live on less than $1 per day
- 79% live below poverty level
- 59% of children are anemic
- 1/3 of newborn babies are underweight
- 50% do not have access to clean drinking water
- Languages – Creole and French
- Literacy Rate – 52.9% (2003 estimate)
- Religions: Roman Catholic 80%, Protestant 16% (Baptist 10%, Pentecostal 4%, Adventist 1%, other 1%), other 3%, none 1%. Note: roughly half the population practices voodoo
- An outbreak of cholera has been ongoing in Haiti since October 2010. There is a also a high risk of hepatitis A and E, and typhoid fever from food or waterborne sources.
(CIA World Factbook)
Another exciting development is that there is a strong possibility that Mike’s 1999 Chevy Tahoe may take a road trip to Pignon! I was preparing to list it on CraigsList when the opportunity to have it shipped was presented. I couldn’t say YES fast enough! I’ve been told the roads in Haiti are quite rugged or, as one friend described it, “It is like driving on the moon”. The Tahoe is quite capable of handling that kind of terrain. Mike would be thrilled to know his favorite vehicle will be meeting the needs of Pastor Jephtha and the people of Jerusalem Baptist Ministries. Friends from our church will be getting the Tahoe cleaned up and ready for travel over the next several weeks and I will post pictures of the send off.
I’ve dedicated this song to the newly renamed “Clean Water Project”. It is “All My Fountains” by Chris Tomlin.